The City of Timmins Fire Department needs people with a strong desire to help others and people with courage and dedication to the work they do.
Because the position of Volunteer Firefighter is so important, we make sure all of our volunteer firefighters are expertly trained and properly equipped.
So, if you want to do something important for your community and are willing to take on a challenging opportunity, being a Volunteer Firefighter may be the opportunity for you.
The City of Timmins Fire Department operates six (6) Volunteer Fire Stations strategically placed throughout the City. As a member of this dedicated team, you will respond to firefighting and rescue operations, operate and maintain fire apparatus and equipment, and participate in public relations and education.
The City of Timmins is looking to fulfill multiple positions of Volunteer Firefighters in every station.
A Volunteer Firefighter must:
- Not be less than 18 years of age
- Have a secondary school Graduation Diploma or equivalent as approved by the Ministry of Education
- Be able to conduct routine maintenance and cleaning of stations and all types of apparatus and equipment used
- Be able to obtain an Ontario class DZ driver’s license during the probationary period
- Be able to work in a highly structured work environment and follow the rules, regulations and procedures of the Timmins Fire Department
- Be capable of learning and performing the various methods and techniques used in extinguishing and preventing fires and in rescue techniques
- Have a valid Ontario class G driver’s license or higher with 0 demerit points satisfactory to the City of Timmins
- Have the ability to acquire a general knowledge of hazardous materials, poisonous substances, arson detection, life safety systems and other job-related subjects, and be familiar with the procedures associated with these subjects
- Have the ability to make decisions and to react calmly and quickly in emergency situations
- Have visual requirements of at least 20/30 in each eye without corrective lenses, have normal depth perception, and have colour vision
- Maintain the physical strength and agility to perform hard work and operate all firefighting/rescue apparatus and equipment, as well as safety equipment under adverse conditions, frequently, for prolonged periods of time
- Not have any criminal convictions for which a pardon has not been granted
- Successfully complete the recruit-training program
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination mandatory